Musgrave

Welcome to the Musgrave House Website!

Welcome to Musgrave house! We are thrilled to take our name from Rev Canon Vernon Musgrave who was one of the founders of the school and who had the original vision for St Catherine’s in 1883. We see ourselves as the friendly and enthusiastic house because all our girls look out for one another and put their all into everything they do. We encourage the Musgrave girls to join in, work hard, play hard and have fun at the same time. In whatever school event we take part in, Musgravians make themselves known for their commitment, passion and success.

We have supported a wide range of charities over the years, from Breast Cancer research to the Deaf Children’s Society. Last year we raised over £1000 for this wide range of charities through bake sales, a badge sale and our yearly Easter Egg Hunt. I am very fortunate to have an amazing Upper 6 cohort every year who lead the House, together with a superb tutor team who encourage the girls to strive for greater heights, to try something new and to unconditionally support one another.

 Mrs Penny Harris (Musgrave Housemistress)

History of Musgrave

Musgrave House is named after the Reverend Canon Vernon Musgrave, born in 1830, who had exquisite charm due to his unselfishness, sympathy and his love of people. He was described as having the power of common things in an uncommon way. Rev Canon lived a good life working with others.

In March 1883 Canon Musgrave wrote a paper which envisaged a large school to generate public spirit and to attract good staff . Education was to be sound and liberal, providing useful accomplishments and with religious teaching according to the Church of England. He wanted religion to have a full and prominent place in a girl's school, with the chapel being one of the most important parts of the school.

In April 1883, this foundation for middle class girls was erected "St Catherine's" and the Council was formed. The Council included Viscount Midleton, the Right Honourable G Cubit MP, Dosworth Haydon Esp, the Rev Canon Sapte, the Rural Dean and the Rev Canon Musgrave, Rural Dean.

On 8 September 1883, canon Musgrave became the Honourable Secretary of the Council and on 25 September 1885 the school opened.

In 1923 there were three houses. The Red house's emblem was the poppy and their motto was Fide Fortudine Constantia. The Blue house adopted the cornflower as their emblem and their motto was to stride, to fashion and to fulfill. The Yellow house's emblem was a buttercup and their motto was Non Nobis Solum.

In 1936 the houses were renamed. Red house became Merriman, Blue house changed to Midleton and Yellow house became Musgrave, in his honour.

Outside his own parish, Canon Musgrave's name will long be remembered in the diocese of Winchester and the county of Surrey, and indeed all over the country through the work which he did in connection to St Catherine's School, Bramley.

Musgrave Staff & Officers
  • Housemistress: Mrs Penny Harris
  • Upper 4 Tutor: Miss Emily Buckett
  • House Tutor: Mrs Alice North 
  • Assistant Tutor: Mrs Davina Byrne

House Officers

  • House Captains – Tamsin and Phoebe 
  • Games Captains – Izzy and Lizzy 
  • Drama Prefects – Katie and Anya
  • Music Captains – Hannah, Isabella and Imogen 
  • Art Prefect – Silvia and Katie
  • Public Speaking Prefect – Liberty 
  • Charity Prefect – Evie and Anushka 
  • Upper 3 Prefect – Imogen 
  • House Prefect – Michelle 

Previous House Captains

  • 2017-2018  Jess and Saskia
  • 2016-2017 Sophie and Jasmin
  • 2015-2016 Tilly and Dominque 
  • 2014-2015 Helen  and Ella 
  • 2013-2014 Sophie , Lucy 
  • 2012 - 2013 Torie and Tabbie 
  • 2011 - 2012 Georgina and Fran 
  • 2010 - 2011 Zoe /Alice 
  • 2009 – 2010 Kirsty and Emma 
  • 2008 - 2009 Alex and Evelyn 
  • 2007 - 2008 Amy and Leah